Monday, August 5, 2013

How he defeated Vader at Disney's Hollywood Studios Jedi Training Academy

Well, it's official.
My oldest son has become a Padawan.  He received a diploma and all!!

When you stay in any hotel in the Orlando area there is always a channel dedicated to Disney and what all it's parks have to offer.  Genius marketing.  It automatically comes on when you turn on the TV and continuously cycles a ton of super cool stuff that appeals to all kids.  Which transforms into, "Hey Mom, can we do that?" 
This is what lead to wanting to become a Jedi, which is offered at Hollywood Studios.
Since Ryder is totally consumed by Star Wars these days for his 6th birthday his grandmother gave the whole family passes to the park.  Fantastic gift and a slight moment of panic for mom.  Is becoming a Jedi something that I can actually make happen??
It better be, because I would have one let down kid on my hands if not.
A good friend of mine had recently visited the park, so I called and drilled her with questions.  She has girls, so they didn't have the same priorities we did, but she had good info about where to head and what was probably gonna go down.  When we checked into our resort I went over and asked the "Disney planning desk" the same questions and got a few extra tips.
Basically what I needed to do was:
Be the first one to enter the park.
Head (haul butt) straight to the ABC studios.
Get him signed up for one of the classes which only hold 12-14 kids

No biggie, right?  There are only hundreds of kids at a Disney park on any given day.

After getting the shuttle schedule we decided to drive ourselves to the park.  The shuttle left at 8:50 and the park opened at 9:00, not going to cut it AT ALL.
We left at 8:00 and got there at 8:10.  We parked pretty close but were definitely not the first people there.  I had a second of panic when I thought "How many of these people came early to sign up for Jedi training?"
We already had our tickets, so no Will call lines for us.  I had the baby, stroller and all the baggage so the Hubs took Ryder ahead just in case.  We ended up in the same line because the park hadn't officially opened yet.  I think they started letting everyone in around 8:30, I'm not 100% sure because I was trying to contain a crazy toddler and the anticipation was killing me. 
Once the flood gates opened we headed toward the Hat and veered left as directed by everyone.  The ABC studio area was next door to the American Idol experience.  I felt like everyone was headed in the other direction, it was a good feeling.  As we approached, we knew we were in the right place, because there was a cast member with a light saber ushering us inside.  No line! We walked right up and got signed up for the first show at 9:20!!  I was giddy and relieved.  But the running wasn't over.  The nice girl told us we had time to go get a Toy Story Mania fast pass before we had to be back at 8:50.  So we did, great tip because that line was super long all day.  (side note: one of the only 'rides' I could take a one and a half year old on.)
We get back and it's time......
Here's what happened.....
He looks so, so proud.  He's totally ready to get this party started.
 Ewok village that surrounds the Star Tours ride.


A lesson and briefing of what will be expected of the trainees. 


 The class was cute.  Lots of moves to learn...swing, strike, duck, repeat.
 Da da da dun da da dun da da

 Uh oh.  He's trying to get the youngsters to come to the Dark Side.
 HOLY COW! He has to fight Vader...alone...solo...
 There was an ambush during Ryder's fight sequence and he must use the force to defeat these Storm Troopers!



 I'm so proud.  At this point I was happy to have my sunglasses on because I was having a Disney magic moment and my eyes were welling up. 

 Boo,of course, wants to be just like his big brother and had to get in on the action.
And my favorite picture of the whole day, I took with my phone.  Not the best quality, but definitely the best action shot. 
Growing up watching the original Star Wars as a kid, I never thought in my wildest dreams that my own son would be going up against the Dark Side at the age of 6.  Happy Birthday, buddy!  Disney prevails and dreams do come true.
(And the baby got to meet Mickey Mouse yet another magical moment)

No comments:

Post a Comment