Friday, December 6, 2013

DIY: Baking Soda Air Freshners the possibilites are endless!

Baking Soda is an obsession of mine right now.  It really came through with cleaning the kitchen floor tile grout so when I came across these air fresheners, making my own was a definite. 
There are tons of blogs and how to's of these little guys.  I like this one, because it had all the different reviews and versions. 
Here's my review and version....


First off, the possibilities are endless.
From the size of the mason jar to the bow you tie around it.  Not to mention the picture or pattern you choose to display on top.
These mason jars came from Target and were 4 for $4.07, they are 8 oz. big mouth.
Lots of the other bloggers used scrap book paper, but I didn't have any of that.  I did have card stock and a bunch of dividers for the file cabinet.  I was not going to just leave the plain manila color for my craft, so I started looking around my house.  I came up with a ton of choices.  I had old gift bags, magazines, wrapping paper, photos, seriously ENDLESS choices, any theme any color.  You could even print up an image of the scent you were using...  ENDLESS.


 Just trace the metal insert, cut and glue stick it down.  The flower pot circle was from a gift bag tag,  it fit a smaller jar perfectly,  I wouldn't have even had to cut it. 



The mixing is easy.  Pour in the baking soda and add your essential oil. 
Another plethora of choices.  A tip from the other reviewers is that when it comes to the smell department the deeper note  the longer it will linger.   Also, start with 8 or so drops, you can always add more if you want a stronger smell.  Mine is called 'clean air', I believe we got it at a music festival and it smells like ylang ylang and dryer sheets.   When that runs out I think I will try sweet orange or rosemary.  Sometimes you can get them cheap as an add on item through Amazon.  I know there are times when I need the extra couple dollars to take advantage of the free shipping.  For the holes I used an upholstery needle, because wooden skewers were not strong enough and an ice pick was too big.


So that's basically it!
I'm giving them out to my mom (she bought a new house and it has some interesting smells), my mom in law(just because she likes things that smell good) and my sister in law(because she's always collecting clothes for the needy and her car, well, stinks).  I'm thinking of adding it to the teacher Christmas gift, too.  Lord knows 1st grade classrooms are smelly.  You could even give them at a baby shower for the new mom who doesn't realize how stinky that diaper pail is gonna get.
Mine went in the boys bathroom for obvious reasons. :)


This was a super fun, simple project that anyone can do and have fun with.  If I had to give it a rating, it would be 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment