Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Diaper Challenge.



Our first son was a Huggies baby all the way.  
Nothing else worked.  If we got a different brand or a family member kindly brought some when they came for a visit, it was a disaster.
EVERY other kind leaked.  And leaked within minutes...not like we left them on to test the limits.

They say each child is different and I guess that goes for diapers, too.
When I was still pregnant and people asked what we needed I was sure to tell them diapers.  I kept all the clothes, toys, towels, burp rags, etc, so I really just needed the disposables.
So if they wanted to get us something, get diapers, if they were gonna get diapers, get Huggies. 
I was grateful for anything, but I was just trying to avoid wasting their dollars and diapers.
The hospital also gave Huggies.  Awesome.  I was stoked.
In the first week everything in the world of diapers was right.  No leaks, holding strong.
Then the flood gates opened....
I have no idea what happened.  Either the Huggies had changed or this kid is a peeing machine.
There were leaks.
Lots of leaks.
Quite humorous when my hubs lifts the baby away from him and there is a huge wet spot, but not practical.
Every diaper change it seemed I had to change the onesie as well, because the 'wet' had seeped through.  Seeped is the best way to explain.  Not like it leaked out the side, top or bottom, just sort of seeped through and soaked the baby.  Annoying.
Even with changing the diapers ALL the time he still seemed..damp.

So I've decided to take the competitors for a test run.
Once I find something that works, I usually don't stray, but this is not working.  Sorry Huggies, I sang your praises for years, but this may be the end of our relationship.  This kid is different.

Today (March 3) is the first day of diaper #1 test.  The Pampers.
These so did not work with the previous child.   My friends thought I was crazy, but they all had girls.  I assumed that the anatomy had something to do with why they worked so well for them and not for my boy.
This go around, they seem to be doing well.
I was a bit skeptical when I took them out of the package.  They were WAY thinner than the competition. Like paper. and they seemed a bit flimsy.   But so far so good.  No leaks, no seeps.  I haven't let him go too long without a change, so they are still on trial.....
On a side note, they do smell good.  I believe they have a baby powder kind of smell, which is a nice bonus.

(March 5)  I've now also tested out the Luvs.
Right out of the package they seemed similar to the Pampers, a lot thinner than the Huggies.   They also look like the Pampers on the inside.  I was very pleased with these as well, especially because they were the least expensive.  Then it went downhill.....
The baby took a really long nap (awesome) woke up had a few pulls of the bottle and fell right back to sleep.  So he was down about 3 or 4 hours in total.  I got him up and he was soaked through.   Maybe you think  I should be changing diapers more often, but what if he was one of those babies who slept through the night?  I would need more out of my diaper.  The Luvs are most likely out...definitely out for a nighttime diaper.  Oh, and these are the 'nighttime protection' variety.   
So I'm gonna do a nighttime or long nap test with the Pampers and hope it goes well.

(March 10)  At this point I'm starting to think that no diaper is going to win this challenge.  I'm not trying to leave a diaper on my kid for hours and hours, but like I said earlier...what happens when he starts sleeping through the night?  I mean, I don't want to wake him up just to change a diaper.  Or am I going to have to change the soaked sheets every morning?  
As far as the challenge is going the Pampers definitely are winning.  They don't seep through like the Huggies.  The also seem to contain the pee longer than the Luvs.  While the Luvs don't seep through, when the "fill up" they leak out of the back or sides.  
So it looks like I'll be converting over to Pampers.  All around they seem to be the most effective.

The Huggies where the one and only with our 1st son, but they just aren't cutting it.  This does sadden me a bit because they have a new feature that I think is pretty cool.  There is a line up the front of the diaper that turns blue when the baby pees.  This came in quite handy with a newborn.  Instead of sticking a finger in the diaper or feeling the 'plumpness' of it, you could just look and see.  So cool, but not cool enough to have a wet baby.
So I'll be buying the Pampers, but I still have some testing to do within the realm of Pampers themselves.  
Hopefully I find something amazing and truly leak proof!!

Also I want to add that before Tyce was born I was seriously considering a cloth diaper.  My husband was in absolutely NO way on board with this.  He did not want to deal with the poo in any more depth than he already had to.  I thought I would just use them at home.  When we went out I could bring some disposables.  With all this leakage I lost the battle.  I may revisit the idea when we no longer have a newborn and are on a bit more of a schedule.   We will continue recycling and reducing our carbon footprint in other ways...

  For now I'm going to put all my efforts into more consistent feeding times hoping it will result in more consistent nap and sleep times.  
All this sleep deprivation is for the birds...but that's a whole other subject....




Update. 
July 16th
Tyce is just about 5 and a half months and I've had a revelation.  
Pampers Extra Protection!
I discovered them by accident by way of a coupon that came in the box with the Pampers swim diapers.
They are a dream.  I was wondering how I had never stumbled upon them before this.  
All those nightly feeding interrupted by a warm, wet sensation on my body are a thing of the past.
Unfortunately they start at size 3, hence the late discovery.  But they are amazing.  Sure to stop all your leaky nights.  So get a coupon and go get a box.  It's the one with the sleeping baby, stars and Sesame street characters on it.  
You will thank me.  :)
 

4 comments:

  1. Try Pampers Swaddlers. We swore by them and the ones with yellow line that turns blue if he pees is a great bonus!! When he starts moving and grooving - pampers cruisers. NOW, target brand aren't bad for during the day but they have a unique smell;) walmarts are ok too. BUT pampers is the way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly! You're the 2nd person to tell me about the Swaddlers, so they are going to be my next purchase. I think I have Baby Dry right now.

      Delete
  2. We do Pampers Swadlers for newborn and switch to Target when they go to 1's. I LOVE TARGET DIAPERS! They are the only ones I use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to update...
      We are currently on the Swaddlers, the Luvs and the Target brand. The Luvs overnights (I use them in the day) are working well now that I moved a size up. (What do you mean I have my 7 week old in 2's, insane) That was a great recommendation by Em. The Luvs do open flood gates if I leave them on too long. And I like the Target brand, but they are definitely more bulky.

      Delete