Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The county fair

I grew up in New Orleans.  Well, technically Jefferson Parish, but the greater New Orleans area just the same.  Houses are close, there are a lot of people and there is ALWAYS something to do.  Your typical big city with an added bonus of awesome food,  drink and festivals.  The 'Big Easy' as my four year old likes to call it. 
Now, we live in the country in Florida.  I guess you could get even more country than this, as we don't live on a farm or own many acres of land, but that is what we are surrounded by.  The houses are not close and there are not a lot of people.  Your typical rural area.
There is not always something to do around here unless you want to travel about an hour to the closest metropolitan area. 
As you can imagine that makes the County Fair a big deal.
Everyone goes.
While not nearly as big as the Florida State Fair they do have your choice fair attractions, Ferris Wheel, carousel, gravitron and one of my favs the swings.





What they also have, which I find so amusing, is livestock.
I realize this is normal for 'fair games' , but for a girl who is used to city fairs, this is totally new to me.
Our fairs were held in the parking lots and open fields of the high schools and elementary schools in the area.  The only animals we saw were goldfish in little round bowls waiting for a ping-pong ball to decide their destiny.

Not here.....here they have it all...


From prize turkeys...

















to your average fair pig.



 I mean, I'm just waiting for a little girl named Fern to come out with buttermilk.  (funny enough this pig was about to get a bath.)







 Cows, chickens, hens, bunnies and ducks are some of the other animals that were on display.   I gathered that it is a combination of local 4H clubs and farmers that enter their animals.  I didn't dig deep enough to find out what the winners get, but there were definitely blue ribbons on some of the cages. 

We had a good time, especially our 4 year old, he got an armband that allowed him unlimited access to all the rides.   What could be better for kid that age?

The baby also did great.  He's getting close to three months, so this was a big outing for him.  Lots of lights, lots of noise, just a lot all around for a little guy to take in.  And that's pretty much what he did, just took it all in.

Stinkin' cute, I know.  

The smiles from our boys are definitely the highlight of the fair for the Hubs and I.  But a close second is the prime people watching.   If you have been to any fair anywhere, you are picking up what I am putting down.   The 80's may be making a comeback with the teens, but there were some mom jeans and mullets saying the 80's never left.  Classic fair attire, classic.   Next time I'll try and snap a few shots, instead of just mouthing 'Wow' to the Hubs. 
Good times.  Good times. 

Over all the fair was a hit.  I don't know why our town doesn't have more festivals to get the folks out and socializing?   Although, next month they are hosting the 1st Annual Blueberry Festival.  Should be a fun day.  Blueberries are delish, I'm just hoping for some good music, good people and good food to go along with them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment