Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dirt

My friend Amanda who blogs at Sunshine and Rayne  recently turned me on to this article from parenting.com ....

Are your kids getting dirty enough?

Right?

Are they getting dirty enough?  When it comes to germs I say yes.  I mean, he's in preschool aka germ central.  But what about plain ol' actual dirt?  Weather permitting, his class goes outside to the playground.    But when he comes home, he sometimes needs that 'push' to get outside.  He loves playing on the computer.  Since the time spent on it is 90% educational I don't want to deter that either. 

It always comes down to balance.  In so many situations in our lives balance is key.

Let's face it, we live in a technical world.  It's always about the newest,the fastest and the best.   I want both kids to be completely literate when it comes to the computer and the tech world.  The way things are going they would be lost without it.  Luckily, we have tons of free websites that assist in beginning math, reading, etc while craftily teaching the functions of the computer and how to navigate the web.

But......

They also need to keep a balance with the outside world and nature, away from the computer and the television.  Sometimes I do have to give some incentive to get outside, but like the article says, once he gets out there he usually wants to stay out.  Especially if there are other kids to play with.  My go to used to be a bike ride around the block, but lately it's been the hose.  I don't know too many kids who can resist having free and full access to a water source, especially the hose.  Once he's turned on to that he's exploring on his own... the ants, the lubbers, the worms and anything else "dirty" he can get his hands on.



So get 'em out there and get 'em dirty.

 It's good for 'em!!!!



 Now, I just have to figure out a way to con him back inside for dinner and a bath.....
;)

No comments:

Post a Comment