Monday, April 2, 2012

A gift from Boots

Last night after all the chillens were asleep the cat brought us a present.... 


here she is in all her cat glory, taking over the guest bed

She's been known to bring the occasional lizard or frog to the back door, but she really stepped it up last night.
I could see her on the lanai while we were watching TV and it was clear that she was in a game of 'cat and mouse' with something.  I usually keep and eye on her when I notice the 'game' commence because once she gifted us a mole and another time a bat.   I get the special honor of burying the choice animal in the woods, so the dog won't eat it.  Gross, I know, but so goes the circle of life.

But last night was something special..
When it's not too hot, I leave a window cracked in the kitchen so she can come and go as she pleases.  As I was watching her bob and weave she suddenly jumps up into the window and darts across the living room.  I instantly knew the 'prize' had come in with her.  I jump up and follow her in the hall, where I flick on the light.  She looks up at me cute and innocent, mouth empty.  I scan the floor and I catch what I think is a lizard tail scoot behind the plant.  I move to grab it so I can throw it back outside and what I find is not a lizard, but, in fact this.....



photo from link to the right


http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/t.planiceps.html

As far as I can tell, it's a Western Black-headed snake.  Supposedly living in the west, ya know, California, Arizona.  Yet, this one visited us in sunny Fla.  Don't worry I checked, not on any endangered lists.





Any who, back to the story.  I obviously yell for my husband.  I love nature, but lizards and frogs is where I draw the line in the field of catch and release from the house.  The hubs on the other hand, likes to pretend he's all Jeff Corwin and catch em.
The snake was fast, so he had to move fast before it got lost somewhere in the house.  As he's vocalizing that he doesn't recognize it and wondering if it's venomous, I'm saying, "just grab it, just grab it."  He does and casually tosses it out the front door.
Of course, I immediately turn to the computer to find out what this snake is all about.  I literally 'lol' when I read...'mildly venomous'.   Hubs, is all, "oh that's just great."  But luckily it's harmless to humans, the venom only immobilizes small insects.
Quite the eventful evening, right?
But, I feel it's always good to pass information about snakes, so we can be educated on who is and isn't going to hurt us and our children.
So here's your basic, brief FYI.
This Black headed snake is nocturnal and tends to mostly live underground, only coming out to hunt for food.   The little guy is only 3-12 inches and skinny.  And again, harmless to humans.
On and end note, Thank you Bootsie for bringing us a gift, but from now on you can keep them outside. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment